Dear Friends in Christ,
At all times, especially in a pandemic, we Christians need one another’s fellowship, encouragement, companionship, and prayer. We at UniLu are committed to providing a safe environment in which all of you can receive Christ’s gifts and enjoy our life together in Him. Since we are also part of the U of I community at large, we are doing what we can to match the diligent practices of the University in reducing the risk of spreading the novel coronavirus.
The biggest change is that we are installing a large tent in our parking lot this week. This is where we will be having most of our group activities throughout the semester (the chief exception, of course, being the Sunday Divine Service). We are excited to host Bible studies, meals, games, movies, and more in our comfy parking lot. We will wear masks when indoors, but outdoors no masks are required.
Here’s a general look at what to expect this semester:
- Bible Study – for everyone, led by Pastor in the tent, beginning at 9:30 AM. First Study begins on Sunday, August 23rd.
- Divine Service – held every week in the Sanctuary at 10:30 a.m. We wear masks for the service, taking them off when each individual communes at the rail. We also keep 6 feet between households in the pews. For information on parking, see our Visit Us page.
- Starting August 23rd, lunch will be served in the tent each week for all who wish to stay after Divine Service. This is a great time to hang out, chat, and enjoy our time with one another.
- When filing out of church (still masked), the food will be served at the church reception desk. We will then carry our food outside to enjoy under the tent. Much like outdoor seating at a restaurant, no masks will be required.
During the Week
- Hours – The Student Center door will be unlocked Tuesday–Friday, Noon to 9:30 p.m. Monday is Pastor’s day off, so stay tuned for those hours.
- Masks – Please remember, when indoors, masks are required. Try to maintain social distancing as much as possible. The outside tent will always be available if you’d like to hang out, study, or play without a mask.
- Choir Rehearsal – Starting on Wednesday, September 2nd, the church choir will be rehearsing in the sanctuary starting at 8 PM. Please, come and sing with us…through your mask. Sorry! 🙁
- Student Bible Study – Starting on Thursday, August 27th, 8 PM, students are invited to gather in the tent to study the Bible with Pastor Schuermann. Come be refreshed by the Word during the week!
- Friday Fun Night – We’ll have a fun event planned for Friday night of each week. Games, movies, socially distant square dancing, and more! The first event will be on Friday, August 28th. (Outside in the tent)
Whew! That’s a lot. I can’t wait to see you again, or to meet you. Please don’t hesitate to email, call, or text me anytime. You can get in touch here. And I’m available for conversation, prayer, and pastoral care throughout the week.
As we face this surreal semester together, remember that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in Him we share the blessings of confessing His holy name and living joyfully together in our baptism.
God bless and keep you,
Pastor Michael Schuermann